The BEST vanilla buttercream frosting recipe that is unbelievable creamy and fluffy and so easy to make. A recipe that every home baker needs!
Easy Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting is a recipe that every home baker needs to have in their repertoire, or recipe box if you’re like me.
I used to be a canned frosting sell-out, until I made my own homemade buttercream for the first time, and now I can’t go back. It is SO SO much better than homemade.
This vanilla buttercream recipe is my go-to for most of my frosting needs (unless I need a good cream cheese frosting, then I use this one!).
It is unbelievably creamy, light, and fluffy, and it still pipes beautifully.
Best of all, it is so quick and easy to make with ingredients you probably already have in your house: butter, powdered sugar, cream, and vanilla.
How Do You Make Vanilla Buttercream Frosting White?
The best way to make your buttercream whiter is to use clear vanilla extract, like this one, instead of your typical brown extract.
Also, whipping your frosting for longer makes it fluffier and whiter.
I will also sometimes use 1-2 small drops of blue food coloring (for the whole batch) to make it look like a truer pure white, instead of a buttery off-white.
However, it will always be slightly off-white because of the butter. You could use shortening instead of butter, but it won’t taste as good.
The Trick to Fluffy Buttercream Frosting
The real trick to fluffy vanilla buttercream frosting has two parts:
- Use real cream. When I use cream to make my frosting instead of milk, it is so much richer and fluffier.
- Beat it longer. The frosting can be done when everything is combined and smooth. However, if you leave your mixer on and continue beating for an additional 5-10 minutes, the frosting gets smoother because all of the powdered sugar fully dissolves AND it gets fluffy. So fluffy and pretty. Just like in a bakery!
How to Make Easy Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar with a mixer until blended and smooth.
Add vanilla extract and cream, and continue beating on high for an additional minute.
Continue beating on high for an additional 5-10 minutes.
Check the consistency and add cream or powdered sugar accordingly.
Spread or pipe on cupcakes or cake. Cover and refrigerate to store for later use.
- If your buttercream is too thin, add a little more powdered sugar, 1/4 cup at a time. If you buttercream is too thick, add a tablespoon of cream and beat until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Be sure to beat your frosting long enough. When it’s been beaten long enough, it turns a lighter color and is perfectly smooth and fluffy.
- Add a little almond extract. I only add 1/8 teaspoon because it can be so overpowering. But just that little bit in there makes it taste so good!
- Store your frosting covered in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
- Make this frosting ahead! Make it, store it in covered in the refrigerator. Then just bring it to room temperature and beat again before using.
Try Vanilla Buttercream Frosting with These Amazing Recipes:
- Best Funfetti Cupcakes – the best cupcakes from scratch
- Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars – soft funfetti sugar cookie bars
- Sugar Cookies – my grandma’s recipe that holds their shape!
- Chocolate Chip Cupcakes – your favorite cookie turned cupcake
WATCH THE VIDEO HERE: Easy Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup butter
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar about 1 pound
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons cream
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until well blended and smooth.
- Increase mixer speed and continue beating for another 3 mins.
- Pour in vanilla and continue beating until combined.
- Add 1 tablespoon cream or half-and-half and continue beating on high for an additional minute.
- If you feel the consistency is still too thick, add one more tablespoon of half-and-half or cream and beat again.
- Spread or pipe on cupcakes or cake. Cover and refrigerate to store for later use.
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
Knowing how to make your own Vanilla Buttercream Frosting is a must. For one, it’s astronomically more delicious than it’s canned store-bought counter-part. And two, it’s so quick and easy, there’s really no reason not to make it yourself!
I use this quick and easy Vanilla Buttercream Frosting recipe as a base for most of my other frosting recipes. It really is amazing. And it’s even thick enough to pipe onto cupcakes, if you like.
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.