Make this light and airy Whipped Mascarpone Frosting with just 4 ingredients for a delicate and fluffy but equally as indulgent topping on all of your favorite cakes and cupcakes.
Whipped Mascarpone Frosting
Whipped Mascarpone Frosting is a light and airy frosting, with just a few ingredients. But it is also so creamy and decadent, you'll want to lick it straight out of the bowl (and who's stopping you? No judgment here!).
You can even pipe this frosting, and it will hold its pretty shape.
What Is Mascarpone?
Mascarpone is a type of cheese, kind of like an Italian cream cheese. It is made with cow's milk and is high in fat, making it rich (like cream) and spreadable (like butter).
Mascarpone cheese is mildly sweet with an almost nutty flavor. It's less tangy than ricotta or traditional American cheese.
What Can I Use Whipped Mascarpone Frosting for?
I originally developed this recipe for my Tres Leches Cupcakes because I wanted something light and airy like whipped cream, that would hold up a little better, but that wasn't too sweet like buttercream.
You can use Whipped Mascarpone Frosting on any or all of your favorite cake or cupcake recipes. I especially love it on delicate cakes where you don't want the sweetness of the frosting to take over, such as angel cake or a strawberry shortcake.
Because it's so light, you can also substitute for situations where you normally would use whipped cream, such as on ice cream, fresh fruit or fruit salad, or coffee and hot chocolate.
More Frosting Recipes You'll Love
- Homemade Marshmallow Fluff - a light and fluffy marshmallow creme recipe that can double as marshmallow frosting, and can even be toasted!
- Classic Vanilla Buttercream - can't go wrong with this super easy, sweet, and pretty buttercream.
- Thick Cream Cheese Frosting - the perfect cream cheese frosting to pipe onto cupcakes. It stays put and doesn't melt off!
- Fresh Strawberry Buttercream - made with fresh strawberries for all that fresh flavor and no weird ingredients or flavoring. Great for spring and summer cupcakes!
- Caramel Frosting - sweet and decadent caramel flavored buttercream
Whipped Mascarpone Frosting
- 3 cups heavy cream
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- Chill a large metal mixing bowl (glass will work too, but metal will stay colder) for 15-20 minutes.
- Once bowl is chilled, add heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Mix in mascarpone cheese, whisking until just combined.
- Spread or pipe frosting onto cake, cupcakes, ice cream, or whatever your heart desires.
- Do not overmix. Mixing too much will cause frosting to clump. If your mascarpone seems very stiff, mix using a whisk or whisk attachment in a separate bowl first to loosen it up a bit.
- Use chilled heavy cream and mascarpone for best results.
- Storage: This frosting is best used right away. If you need to make ahead or have leftovers, store covered in the refrigerator. Whip with a whisk or whisk attachment to fluff it back up before using. Store any frosted cupcakes or cake in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!