Make your own creamy, light, and airy Homemade Marshmallow Fluff in your own kitchen with just a few simple ingredients.
Homemade Marshmallow Fluff
Homemade marshmallow fluff (aka marshmallow creme) is a gooey, sweet concoction that’s the consistency and flavor of melted marshmallows.
This homemade marshmallow fluff is fresh, creamy, and airy, proving you should always make things homemade when you can. You just can’t beat the freshness!
It seems a little intimidating to make, but it’s actually really easy with only 6 ingredients (and one of them is water!) and about 30 minutes start to finish. The only special tool you’ll need is a candy thermometer, which you can grab super cheap at Walmart or Target or here on Amazon.
The best part about making it at home is that you know exactly what goes in it! Plus, it’s cheaper and, as always, delicious.
Add Flavor to Your Fluff
Marshmallow fluff is typically flavored with vanilla. But you can add other flavors as well for different recipes or uses. Try these variations:
- Mint: Substitute 1 teaspoon of peppermint or mint extract for the vanilla.
- Chocolate: Add 1/4 cup cocoa powder during the last couple of minutes of mixing.
- Lemon: Add the zest from one large lemon to the final result.
What Can You Use Homemade Marshmallow Fluff for?
The short answer is anything you can dream of!
- Eat it off a spoon
- Ice cream topping. Try it with chocolate crumbles and graham cracker crumbles. You. Are. Welcome.
- Make a PB&F (that’s peanut butter and fluff!) sandwich.
- Make some chocolate and caramel dessert nachos and top with fluff.
- Use it in Rice Krispies treats.
- Frost a cake or cupcake (This recipe will toast, so you can make a really pretty s’mores cake or cupcake with it)
The sky is the limit! And I will link to some of my favorite recipes that call for marshmallow fluff below, as well.
More Recipes to Use Homemade Marshmallow Fluff
- Homemade Marshmallow Coffee Creamer – one of my all time favorite creamers with a sweet marshmallow and vanilla taste that’s super easy to make.
- Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting – marshmallow flavored buttercream that’s perfect on top of cupcakes.
- Grasshopper Pie – Frozen creamy mint chocolate pie. The marshmallow fluff makes it light and airy.
- S’mores Pizza – Warm gooey dessert pizza topped with chocolate and smothered in a marshmallow fluff sauce.
Homemade Marshmallow Fluff
- ⅓ cup water
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup light corn syrup
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium heavy bottom saucepan over medium-high heat, combine water, sugar, and corn syrup and stir to combine.
- Insert candy thermometer, and set for 240°F (if yours has a beeper). Do not stir while heating.
- While sugar mixture is heating, place room temperature egg whites and cream of tartar into a large mixing bowl. Beat until soft peaks form, about 3-4 minutes.
- When the sugar syrup mixture reaches 240°F, remove from heat immediately.
- With your mixer running, carefully pour syrup in a thin steady stream into the whipped egg whites, beating the whole time. The whites will deflate at first, but as the sugar syrup becomes incorporated, it will thicken, turn white, and fluff up. Whip for about 7-8 minutes until fluffy.
- Add vanilla and whip until incorporated.
- Use immediately or place marshmallow creme in a sealed container and store in the refrigerator,
- Make sure the bowl you use to whip the egg whites is very clean and grease-free or you egg whites may not whip up properly.
- If you’re worried about the egg whites, you can substitute 3 tablespoons meringue powder and 5 tablespoons of water.
- Instead of corn syrup, you can use honey, glucose syrup, or rice malt syrup. These may change the color of of your fluff.
- Don’t stir the sugar and water mixture while it’s heating because it causes the sugar to form crystals. This will make your fluff a bit gritty.
- Here is the candy thermometer I have have from Amazon.
- Storage: Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. You may need to whip again before use to achieve the lighter consistency.
- Freezer Directions: Freeze in a freezer bag or container for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Place in a large mixing bowl and beat before use to re-fluff.
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!