Sticky and sweet homemade Caramel Frosting recipe is perfect for topping your favorite cupcakes and cakes. This gooey frosting will be an instant favorite!
I am so excited to share this Caramel Frosting recipe. I'm eating it right now... by the finger-full... Don't judge me! It's so good that I can't stop!
I think Caramel Frosting is one of those things that just needs no introduction. I mean... It's caramel. It's frosting. It's delicious. And you can put it on cupcakes and cake. What can I possibly say that would make it better?!
Now I know this caramel frosting recipe uses the stove, but don't be intimidated. It's just for a couple of minutes and you don't need anything crazy like a candy thermometer. You can take a shortcut and use a jar of store bought caramel topping, but making the caramel really quickly yourself is truly worth it, in my humble opinion. And I promise it's super easy.
Try this caramel frosting on these Sweet Potato Pecan Cupcakes!
Caramel Frosting Recipe
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar (or more to desired thickness)
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add brown sugar and bring to a boil, whisking constantly.
- Stir in cream. Return to a boil. Then remove from heat.
- Whisk in vanilla.
- Pour mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer (or a large mixing bowl and use an electric hand mixer).
- Gradually beat in powdered sugar at medium speed, using the whisk attachment.
- Beat 7 to 10 minutes, until thickened and smooth.
- Use immediately. This frosting will crust if it sits out.
- Makes about 5 cups
- To pipe, you can add more powdered sugar to make it thicker. Be careful adding too much, as it can affect the texture and make it grainy.
- Add or top with sea salt for a salted caramel effect.
If you liked this Caramel Frosting recipe, you might also like
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.