Sticky and sweet homemade Caramel Frosting recipe is perfect for topping your favorite cupcakes and cakes. This gooey frosting will be an instant favorite!
I am so excited to share this Caramel Frosting recipe. I’m eating it right now… by the finger-full… Don’t judge me! It’s so good that I can’t stop!
I think Caramel Frosting is one of those things that just needs no introduction. I mean… It’s caramel. It’s frosting. It’s delicious. And you can put it on cupcakes and cake. What can I possibly say that would make it better?!
Now I know this caramel frosting recipe uses the stove, but don’t be intimidated. It’s just for a couple of minutes and you don’t need anything crazy like a candy thermometer. You can take a shortcut and use a jar of store bought caramel topping, but making the caramel really quickly yourself is truly worth it, in my humble opinion. And I promise it’s super easy.
Try this caramel frosting on these Sweet Potato Pecan Cupcakes!
Caramel Frosting Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups butter room temperature, divided
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5-7 cups powdered sugar
- In a medium saucepan, melt 1 cup (2 sticks) butter over medium heat.
- Add brown sugar and bring to a boil. When it starts to boil, reduce heat and continue to simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Add cream to the butter and sugar mixture. Bring to a boil again, stirring constantly, and remove immediately from heat.
- Stir in vanilla and set aside to cool.
- When the caramel mixture is cooled to slightly above room temperature (but not hot enough to melt remaining butter), pour it into a large mixing bowl.
- Add 5 cups of powdered sugar to the mixture.
- Beat until smooth and fluffy, about 5-8 minutes.
- To prevent the frosting from feeling doughy, add the remaining stick of butter and beat in until smooth.
- Add more powdered sugar until caramel frosting reaches the desired consistency (remember that if your caramel is still a little warm, it will get stiffer the colder it gets. If it's too stiff, you can beat in a tablespoon of cream or milk until it reaches your desired consistency)
- For best results, pipe or spread onto cake or cupcakes immediately.
If you liked this Caramel Frosting recipe, you might also like
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.