Blueberry Lemon Coffee Cake – a fresh, moist, lemon coffee cake filled with tons of sweet fresh blueberries and completed with a to-die-for streusel topping.
Blueberry Lemon Coffee Cake
It’s a tradition for our family to go blueberry picking at our local farm every year, which I’ve shared before with my Blueberry Maple Syrup recipe. The second part of that tradition is that we come home with pounds and pounds of blueberries that I need to do something with. Of course, there’s the classic Blueberry Muffins, and last year I made amazing Blueberry Maple Syrup, which I will definitely be making again.
This year, I tried another new recipe, and it was so delicious that I have to share, Blueberry Lemon Coffee Cake. My kids keep asking when I’m making it again!
Blueberry Lemon Coffee Cake is a fun spin on blueberry muffins with fresh blueberries, buttermilk, refreshing lemon, and a streusel topping. This breakfast recipe can be frozen after baked, if wrapped tightly.
If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, you can easily substitute using this simple Buttermilk substitute guide.
Blueberry Lemon Coffee Cake Recipe
Blueberry Lemon Coffee Cake
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- Zest from 1 lemon about 2 teaspoons
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
For the Streusel Topping
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter divided
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and lemon zest.
- Add sugar and cream again until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat until fully incorporated.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add a third of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and whisk to combine.
- Add half of the buttermilk to the butter mixture and whisk to combine.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 until the flour mixture and buttermilk are completely incorporated.
- Gently fold in blueberries
- Spread batter into a greased 9-inch square baking pan.
- To make the streusel, combine flour and sugar in a mixing bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of butter and cut together with a pastry blender until the mixture is in pea-sized clumps. Melt the remaining butter in a separate microwave safe bowl. Add the melted butter to the flour mixture, and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle the streusel topping over the breakfast cake batter.
- Bake in a 350 for 35-45 minutes. Check for done-ness by inserting a toothpick.
- Serve warm. You can also freeze, tightly wrapped for later use.
If you liked this Blueberry Lemon Coffee Cake recipe, you might also like:
See All Recipes
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.