This Creamy Tomato Basil Soup is the best that you will ever taste with rich, bold flavors that you'll fall in love with. It's so easy to make, and so comfortingly warm and delicious, it will become a family favorite.
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
This Creamy Tomato Basil Soup is the best you will ever taste. It is perfectly smooth and creamy, but also rich and zesty. It's the all-around best tomato soup out there.
Plus, it's so easy to make with simple ingredients in less than 30 minutes.
This soup can be made year round by using canned tomatoes instead of fresh. This ensures the soup has the highest quality of tomatoes, whether they're in season or not. Which in the winter when you're craving tomato soup, tomatoes are not in season.
Serve up this decadent version of tomato soup to warm you up on a chilly day.
Do I Have to Blend My Soup?
Nope. Creamy tomato basil soup will still taste delicious without being blended. It will just have a chunky texture from the vegetables instead of being very smooth.
Blending is extremely easy with an immersion blender like this one. You can also use a food processor or blender, if you prefer.
Can I Freeze Creamy Tomato Basil Soup?
Yes! Blend the soup, but don't add the cream. Then allow to cool to room temperature before transferring it to a freezer safe bag or container. Freeze for up to 3-6 months. To use, thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Reheat in a large pot. When soup is hot, stir in cream.
How Do You Thicken Tomato Soup?
The blending of the vegetables and the cream will both thicken this soup enough that no additional thickeners are needed.
How to Serve Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
You can serve your tomato soup plain, or topped with crispy croutons, freshly grated Parmesan, and fresh chopped basil.
It also pairs well with a green salad and crusty bread, or a classic grilled cheese. Or go the extra distance with a grown-up grilled cheese like this 5 Cheese White Pizza Grilled Cheese.
More Soup Recipes You'll Love
- Copycat Chicken Gnocchi Soup - a warm, creamy copycat version of the Olive Garden favorite.
- Homemade Vegetable Soup - quick, easy and always a favorite. This classic soup will warm you up on a chilly night.
- Split Pea Soup - packed with extra savory flavors, cooked with bacon. The hardest part is waiting for it to simmer.
- Crock Pot Corn Chowder - super simple, classic chowder that's cheap and easy to make but packed with warm, comforting flavor.
- Jalapeno Popper Soup - creamy, cheesy and spicy this soup is inspired by your favorite appetizer.
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans petite diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 (46 ounce) bottle tomato juice
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons chicken base (or 3 chicken bouillon cubes)
- 1 cup sherry
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- ¼ cup fresh chopped basil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onion, and cook until translucent.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato juice, sugar, chicken base, and sherry. Bring to a boil.
- Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth. (You can skip this step if you like your soup chunky)
- Stir in heavy cream, basil, and black pepper to taste. Heat through.
- Serve warm.
- Storage: Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Slowly reheat in a saucepan stirring consistently, or microwave a single serving in a microwave safe bowl.
- Freezer Directions: Blend the soup and add the basil, but don't add the cream. Then allow to cool to room temperature before transferring it to a freezer safe bag or container. Freeze for up to 3-6 months. To use, thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Reheat in a large pot. When soup is hot, stir in cream.
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
This is easy to make and so tasty!! I will definitely make it again!
This was such a great soup recipe and so perfect for this cold weather we're having.
So delicious! just need a good grilled cheese sandwich to go with it!
Looks so warming and full of flavor. Yum! I'm making this for sure.
Oh yum! I wish I had this soup for lunch right now. Looks so comforting and easy too.
Kristen Wood says
I used some veggie bouillon and it turned out SO good! Can't wait to make again! 🙂
Great video. Now I'm craving your tomato soup!
Shadi Hasanzadenemati says
This was amazing and such a treat! Thank you!
This is such a delicious soup, and so easy to make. Thank you
This soup was fantastic! Love the flavor. Will definitely be making it again!
This is one delicious soup! I love the creamy flavor, and I actually forego the pureeing so I keep that chunky texture.
Dina Miller says
Such a creamy hug in a bowl!
Yum! This was the best soup recipe. Made this for lunch!
This creamy tomato basil soup looks and sounds magnificent. I can't wait to enjoy a great big bowl of this delicious soup.
This creamy soup is amazing, and so creamy and delicious. Love the dash of fresh basil, too. It's the perfect comfort food lunch!
This Creamy Tomato Basil Soup looks so amazing! So comforting! Thanks for sharing