Classic sweet potato pie topped with a brown sugar and pecan crumble topping, just like your favorite sweet potato casserole, for a Thanksgiving pie recipe that is sure to please!
Sweet Potato Pie with Crumble Topping
Last year I shared a sweet potato pie recipe topped with toasted marshmallows that was totally amazing (I'll link to it at the bottom, if you want to check it out!). But if I'm totally honest with you, I'm usually not a huge marshmallow fan. I have a marshmallow creamer recipe that awesome, marshmallow frosting, and I'll eat anything s'mores. But on sweet potatoes, I just love that pecan and brown sugar streusel crumbly topping. So. Good.
So I thought, it's delicious on sweet potato casserole, why not put it on sweet potato PIE?? And here we are. With this delicious Sweet Potato Pie with Crumble Topping.
New to the pie-making scene? Here are some helpful Pie Making Resources to make sure all your pies come out perfect and delicious!
- Easy No Fail Pie Crust Recipe - this easy pie crust recipe comes out perfect Every. Time. It's my grandma's recipe, and it's never failed me yet!
- Rolling Out Pie Crust Tutorial - If rolling out your own homemade pie crust makes you nervous, stop right now! This easy step-by-step tutorial will tell you exactly what to do for a perfect pie crust!
- Pretty Ways to Finish Pie Crust Edges - There are so many ways to finish pie crust once you're done rolling it out to make a truly special pie. Try some of these easy and fun ones this year!
- Must Have Pie Making Supplies - If you love pies, you need these tools so you can make them all the time at home!
Sweet Potato Pie with Crumble Topping Recipe
Southern Sweet Potato Pie
- 1 unbaked pie crust rolled out in a deep 9-inch pie dish (bottom only)
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1⅔ cups heavy cream or half-and-half
For the topping
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- 4 tablespoons butter softened
- ⅔ cup chopped pecans
- Wash and bake potatoes at 425°F until fork tender, about 40-50 minutes.
- Remove sweet potatoes from the oven. Adjust the oven temperature to 400°F.
- Peel sweet potatoes and place into a large mixing bowl.
- Mash potatoes with a masher or fork. You need to 2 cups of this mash for the recipe.
- Add 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes and sugar to a large mixing bowl. Beat until smooth.
- Add eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, and salt. Beat again until smooth.
- Add cream and beat until smooth, creamy, and combined.
- Pour sweet potato pie filling into unbaked pie shell. Set aside.
- To make the topping, in a medium mixing bowl, add brown sugar and flour for topping. Whisk together. Add butter and cut in with a pastry blender. Stir in chopped pecans. Sprinkle on top of pie.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 55 minutes, or until knife inserted halfway between center and edge of pie comes out clean. Cool completely on a rack.
If you liked this Sweet Potato Pie with Crumble Topping Recipe, you might also like
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.