Gooey caramel filling with crunchy pecans in a buttery, flaky, golden crust make this Southern Pecan Pie a heavenly treat for your holiday table!
Southern Pecan Pie
This Southern Pecan Pie looks difficult to make, but believe me, it's ridiculously simple and tastes amazing. In fact, it's one of my favorite pies to make because it's just so dang easy.
Not only is make this pie a breeze, eating it is heaven. Gooey, caramelly (is that a word? I think it should be.) filling and crunchy pecans in a perfectly golden flaky buttery crust. It's a classic for a reason!
What is the Best Pie Crust for Southern Pecan Pie?
The crust for a pecan pie is not baked prior to adding the filling. It's all baked together at once.
My favorite crust is an easy buttery, flaky recipe that is super simple to make. You can get the my favorite flaky pie crust recipe here.
You'll only need half the recipe for one pecan pie, and you can follow the directions for how to freeze pie crust for the other half.
You can also use store-bought crust. However, I really think the crust makes the pie, which is why I always like to make my own.
How to Serve Southern Pecan Pie
You can serve Southern pecan pie warm or room temperature. To warm, put a slice on a microwave-safe plate, and pop it in the microwave for 20-30 seconds.
I love serving warm pecan pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. The cool, creaminess of the ice cream combines perfectly with the warm, caramel-like filling and crunchy pecans.
You can also serve pecan pie with a dollop of fresh whipped cream.
More Fall Recipes You'll Love
- Southern Pecan Pie Bars - if you love this pie, you'll love these bars with the same delicious filling and a butter bar crust.
- Pecan Cheesecake Pie - this pecan pie recipe unites with a creamy cheesecake to create layers of creamy, tangy, caramel pecan goodness.
- Sweet Potato Pecan Cupcakes - sweet potato cupcakes with crunchy pecans and a sweet caramel frosting.
- No Bake Pumpkin Chocolate Cheesecake - an easy no bake creamy pumpkin filling in a chocolate Oreo crust.
- Maple Pumpkin Pie - a creamy, spiced pumpkin pie with a pop of maple sweetness.
- More Pie Recipes
Southern Pecan Pie
- 1 pie crust unbaked, (you'll only need a bottom)
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups chopped pecans
- Roll out pie crust and lay into a greased 9 inch pie pan.
- Combine eggs, corn syrup, butter, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl and whisk together.
- Stir in pecans.
- Pour mixture into pie shell.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Remove pie from oven and cover crust with foil. Just cover the edges so the rest of the pie continues to bake without burning the crust. Place pie back in the oven for another 20-30 minutes. The outer edge of the pie will be puffed, and the inside will only be slightly jiggly.
- Cool completely before serving to allow to set.
- My favorite easy flaky pie crust - this easy pie crust recipe comes out perfect Every. Time. It's my grandma's recipe, and it's never failed me yet!
- Having a hard time measuring corn syrup? Spray your measuring cup with cooking spray before measuring, and the corn syrup will come back out easily!
- Be sure to check on the pie halfway through baking to ensure the outer crust isn't burning. If it's starting to get a little too browned, cover just the edges with foil or a pie crust shield.
- Why aren't the pecans on the bottom? Whether you perfectly arrange the pecans on the bottom, or mix them in with the filling, they're going to float up to the top while baking. So the choice is yours. I like to mix my pecans in because I like the little pieces and how they caramelize on top.
- Rolling Out Pie Crust Tutorial - If rolling out your own homemade pie crust makes you nervous, stop right now! This easy step-by-step tutorial will tell you exactly what to do for a perfect pie crust!
- Pretty Ways to Finish Pie Crust Edges - There are so many ways to finish pie crust once you're done rolling it out to make a truly special pie. Try some of these easy and fun ones this year!
- Must Have Pie Making Supplies - If you love pies, you need these tools so you can make them all the time at home!
- Recommended equipment: pastry blender | glass pie dish | rolling pin | pie crust shield
- Storage: After the pie has completely cooled to room temperature, cover. (If the pie is not cooled, it will create condensation under its cover and result in a soggy pie!). Store at room temperature for up to 24 hours. Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days, taking out of the refrigerator about an hour or two before serving to allow it to come to room temperature.
- Freezing Instructions: Baked pies freeze well for up to 3 months. Cover tightly before freezing, and label. Allow to thaw in the refrigerator overnight, then allow to come to room temperature an hour or two before serving.
UPDATE INFO: This post was originally published in November 2014. It has been republished with new photos, video, and detailed instructions October 2020.
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
This looks delicious! I've been wanting to make a pecan pie for years, but never really got around to it. I'll pin this and maybe give it a try for Christmas. 🙂 Thanks for sharing!
Yummy! I love pecans. This looks fabulous!
Pecan pie is one of my favorites, and this one looks divine!
In the oven now! Merry Christmas!
Great recipe! Only thing I'm trying to figure out is why after it has baked and cooled the pecans on top are super crunchy! I've made this recipe twice and both times it happened. Another recipe I used did not have that type of crunchiness. Do you or anyone know what would cause this??
Pecan pie is one of my holiday favorites. For Thanksgiving we always have both pecan and pumpkin, and I completely agree- homemade crust is a must! Looks wonderful 🙂
Michelle Miller says
I don't think any dessert gets as addictive as pecan pie! this Southern recipe seems to be making the best version of this must-have!
Yum! The fam would love this pie as a holiday dessert! Super easy to make and delicious!
Aimee Mars says
Being southern myself, I can't get enough of pecan pie! I'll happily make it year-round and this recipe looks perfect.
Pecan pie is the perfect holiday dessert! Thanks for all the tips, making it was a cinch!!
Sara Welch says
Such a delicious treat and perfect for fall! Looking forward to enjoying this again and again over the next few weeks! Yum!
Holiday dinner is just not complete without a great pecan pie right? This is going to be on our Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners this year. 🙂
Calleigh | The Fork Bite says
I like your version of pecan pie strikes just the right balance. The pecans take the center stage and the tender crust has enough salt to offset the sweetness of the filling.
This was absolutely delicious! Everyone loved!
I cannot wait to make this for the holidays. My mom used to make this every year but I've never actually made it! I can't believe how easy this to make - thank you so much for the recipe! Yum, yum, yum!
This looks wonderful!! Can't wait to try it.
Carrie Robinson says
Such a classic pie recipe! Would be a great addition to the Thanksgiving dessert table. 🙂
Wow, this pie looks amazing! And so easy to make. Being outside of US, I have never tried pecan pie but now I definitely will. Bookmarking!
Bintu | Recipes From A Pantry says
Now this sounds like the perfect dessert pie! We will certainly be making this for the holidays, delicious!
This is the best pecan recipe! So authentic and perfect for Thanksgiving!
Pecan pie has been on my list for awhile now. So glad you posted this recipe so now I have no reason not to make it! Yum!
We are baking our way around the world at my place right now and this was perfect for America week!
My husband and daughter's boyfriend are going to love this recipe! I can't wait to give this a try! Looks so delicious and yummy!
Thanks For Sharing this Amazing Recipe. My Family Loved It. I will be sharing this Recipe with my Friends. Hope They will like it.
Amanda Wren-Grimwood says
I love pecan pie but haven't had for ages. This recipe is delicious and perfect for that pecan craving!
Pecan pie is my favorite and I love how simple and delicious this recipe is! Making this for Thanksgiving too!
I absolutely love pecan pie and I can't wait to try your version! This is one of our family's favorite pie recipes to make around the holidays! Yum!
Pecan Pie is my favorite! This is a must-have every holiday season!
To be honest I might enjoy pecan pie more that pumpkin. This recipe was super easy and loved the chewy texture!