German Chocolate Cake Cookies -a delicious combination of sweet and decadent chocolate cookies and gooey caramel coconut pecan frosting make these cookies as amazing as the cake that they were inspired by.
German Chocolate Cake Cookies
As I mentioned in my Sweet German Chocolate Cake post, German Chocolate is Mr. Gracious’ favorite. Mostly he just loves the frosting, which I totally understand. A delicious cross between sweet pecan pie and caramel, with sweet shredded coconut. Yum. So why not add this delicious frosting to sweet chocolate cookies and make German Chocolate Cake Cookies?!
German Chocolate Cake Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups shredded sweet coconut
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- Optional: 2 ounces baking chocolate for drizzle
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar, and white sugar, until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and eggs and mix well.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture and mix well.
- Scoop rounded tablespoons onto a greased cookie sheet, 2-3 inches apart (these cookies DO spread) and bake at 375° for 5-8 minutes, until edges are set.
- Mix all ingredients, except coconut and pecans, together in a medium to large saucepan.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened, about 12 minutes. Frosting will thicken a tiny bit more after cooling. Remove from heat when frosting has thickened.
- Add coconut and pecans. Stir to incorporate. Allow frosting and cookies to fully cool before frosting.
- Optional after frosting cookies- Melt baking chocolate in a small bowl in the microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring between each interval, until chocolate is fully melted. Transfer chocolate to a plastic baggy, and cut a small portion of the corner off. Squeeze chocolate gently through the hole to drizzle chocolate over the frosted cookies.
For More Christmas Cookies Ideas, check out our Week of Christmas Cookies main page.
If you liked this German Chocolate Cake Cookies recipe, you might also like
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.