Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is incredibly easy to make with pantry ingredients and features tender chicken, black beans, corn, and fresh cilantro in a flavorfully seasoned tomato broth. It makes a full, healthy weeknight meal in a bowl topped with tortilla chips, avocado, and sour cream.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
This is the BEST Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup. It features tender, juicy chicken with corn, black beans, and cilantro in a zesty, flavorful tomato broth.
It's warm and comforting and hearty enough to make a meal with tons of chicken and black beans alongside the veggies, all in one bowl.
This Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is a fix-it-and-forget-it meal in the Crock Pot! Dump all the ingredients in in the morning and dinner is served in the evening. It's made with simple pantry ingredients and perfect for a weeknight dinner.
What's in Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup?
This recipe features slow cooked chicken with corn and beans in a flavorful tomato broth base. It also has seasonings such as green chiles, fresh cilantro, chili powder, and cumin for even more flavor.
Do I Have to Use Chicken Breasts?
Nope, you can use chicken tenderloins or boneless skinless chicken thighs instead. Rotisserie chicken can also work and significantly reduce the cooking time.
How to Thicken Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken tortilla soup is a broth based soup, so it is naturally thin. It thickens at the end when you add the sour cream, cheese, and tortilla chip topping, and then stir it in.
How to Serve Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
This soup is even more amazing after you add the final toppings. Chicken tortilla soup is usually served topped with sour cream (or crema), avocado, lime, and cheese. It is so good with these extra added. I definitely wouldn't skip it!
There is lots of protein (chicken) and veggies in the soup already, and it works great as a main dish. If you're looking for side dishes to go with the meal, you can serve with a fresh green salad, cheese quesadilla, or cornbread.
How to Freeze Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
You can freeze Chicken Tortilla Soup before or after slow cooking.
To freeze before cooking, simply add all of your ingredients to a large enough freezer container (this is a big recipe). Freeze for up to 3 to 6 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Then transfer to the slow cooker and cook until chicken is cooked through and soup is hot.
To freeze after cooking, allow soup to cool to room temperature. Transfer to freezer bags or containers. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw soup in the fridge overnight. Reheat over medium heat in a large pot on the stove.
More Soup Recipes You'll Love
- Zuppa Toscana - one of my favorite soups, and definitely an easy one to make! Features Italian sausage, tender potato, kale, and cream for a super flavorful and comforting bowl.
- Creamy Tomato Basil Soup - the best tomato soup you will ever have. Just the right amount of creamy with a hint of basil.
- Homemade Vegetable Soup - super quick and easy vegetable soup to make from scratch.
- Jalapeno Popper Soup - all of the flavors of your favorite appetizer in a satisfying, creamy soup
- Southwest Bean Chowder - a hearty creamy soup with zesty southwest flavors that gets all of its creaminess from white beans.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 package frozen corn (10 ounces)
- 1 can black beans (15 ounces) drained and rinsed
- 1 medium onion chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes (15 ounces)
- 1 can enchilada sauce (10 ounce)
- 1 can chopped green chiles (4 ounces)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Sour cream, avocado, and crispy tortilla strips for serving
- Place chicken, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, onion, green chiles, and garlic into a slow cooker. Pour in water and chicken broth, and season with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Stir in corn and cilantro. Cover, and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- Add all ingredients, except salt and toppings, to a large slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cook on Low for 8 hours.
- Remove chicken from soup. Shred, and return to soup.
- Serve warm with sour cream, tortilla strips, and avocado.
- Corn: You can use canned, frozen, or fresh for this recipe, whichever you have on hand.
- Serve with sour cream, tortilla chips or strips, and a squirt of lime. You can also add fresh avocados and crushed pork rinds.
- Storage: Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days.
- Freezer Directions: After preparing, allow soup to cool to room temperature. Transfer to freezer bags or containers. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw soup in the fridge overnight. Reheat over medium heat in a large pot on the stove.
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!