This old-fashioned Coconut Cream Pie recipe features creamy, silky homemade custard with sweet coconut flakes folded in a flaky pie crust topped with some fluffy homemade whipped cream and some toasted coconut flakes to make it pretty.
Coconut Cream Pie
This coconut cream pie is a coconut lovers dream. It features creamy, silky homemade custard with sweet coconut flakes folded in a flaky pie crust topped with some fluffy homemade whipped cream and some toasted coconut flakes to make it pretty.
This is the best coconut cream pie you will ever taste. Its cool, creamy filling make it a perfect spring dessert that we now serve every Easter!
How to Keep Coconut Cream Pie from Getting Runny
There are 2 reasons your coconut cream pie may have gotten watery, runny, or sweat.
First, it's possible that your custard did not thicken enough. Before adding it to your pie shell, check to make sure your custard is not watery. It should be about the consistency of your average pudding.
Second, it's much more likely that the layers weren't totally cooled before you assembled. Make sure you follow the directions for chilling and that your custard layer is totally cooled before adding the whipped cream. If the custard is still warm when you add whipped cream, the custard will sweat under the cold cream and everything will be watery and runny.
How to Toast the Coconut for the Top
The main purpose of the toasted coconut on top of the pie is just for aesthetics. So if you're in a hurry or just making it for yourself, you can skip it if you'd like. You can also pick up some dry coconut chips at the grocery store and use those instead.
To make your own toasted coconut, spread about ½ cup coconut flakes onto a baking sheet. Broil on Low for about 3 minutes. Watch it the whole time! It will brown fast and often suddenly!
Allow the coconut to cool completely. Then sprinkle on top of your finished beautiful coconut cream pie.
New to the Pie-Making Scene?
Here are some helpful Pie Making Resources to make sure all your pies come out perfect and delicious!
- Easy No Fail Pie Crust Recipe - this easy pie crust recipe comes out perfect Every. Time. It's my grandma's recipe, and it's never failed me yet!
- Rolling Out Pie Crust Tutorial - If rolling out your own homemade pie crust makes you nervous, stop right now! This easy step-by-step tutorial will tell you exactly what to do for a perfect pie crust!
- Pretty Ways to Finish Pie Crust Edges - There are so many ways to finish pie crust once you're done rolling it out to make a truly special pie. Try some of these easy and fun ones this year!
- Must Have Pie Making Supplies - If you love pies, you need these tools so you can make them all the time at home
More Cool Dessert Recipes You'll Love
- Banana Cream Pie - the easiest pie you'll ever make with creamy pudding and sweet fresh bananas topped with whipped cream.
- French Silk Pie - Creamy, rich chocolate pie with just a few simple ingredients
- Strawberry Pretzel Salad - No bake dessert with the perfect salty-sweet-tart combination.
- Tres Leches Cupcakes - perfect cupcakes infused with 3 milks and topped with whipped mascarpone frosting.
- Butterfinger Pie - cool peanut butter pie with chocolate crust and lots of crispy Butterfinger pieces.
Coconut Cream Pie
- 1 pie crust baked in a 9-inch pie plate
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup sweetened flaked coconut
- Follow directions for making and baking pie crust here. Then set aside to allow to cool completely.
- Add sugar and cornstarch to a heavy-bottomed saucepan.
- In a separate bowl, quickly whisk together half-and-half and egg yolks.
- Place saucepan with sugar mixture over medium heat. Begin slowly adding egg yolk mixture, whisking to combine.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Allow to boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Immediately stir in butter, vanilla, and coconut.
- Place plastic wrap directly on coconut mixture and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Spoon coconut filling into baked pie shell. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until set.
- Make whipped cream according to the recipe above (or here!). Spread on chilled pie.
- Garnish with toasted coconut if desired (Place ½ cup coconut on a baking sheet. Broil on Low for about 3 minutes. Allow to cool. Sprinkle on top of whipped cream.)
- This is my all-time favorite fool proof pie crust. It is flaky and delicious and really easy to make. The pie crust really makes a pie, so I suggest making it homemade if you can.
- Stir custard constantly while cooking to avoid lumps.
- Allow custard to cool and chill before adding whipped cream so that the pie doesn't get runny.
- When toasting the coconut, watch it carefully because it will brown quickly.
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!