Classic Creamed Spinach is the best way to eat your greens! It features fresh (or frozen) spinach, cooked until tender, in a creamy, garlic and Parmesan sauce.
Creamed Spinach is a classic side with tons of fresh green spinach in a creamy sauce with garlic, shallots, and Parmesan cheese. It's the creamiest, cheesiest, and, dare I say, best way to enjoy your spinach.
This dish comes together in about 15 minutes with just a few simple ingredients. It's great because its simple enough for weeknight dinners, or fancy and tasty enough for holidays and company.
Can I Use Frozen Spinach?
This recipe calls for fresh spinach, but you can also use the same amount of frozen spinach. Thaw and drain 2 pounds of frozen spinach before using (skip steps 1 and 2 in the recipe, and add the thawed and drained spinach in step 6).
How Do You Thicken Creamed Spinach?
Many recipes call for a roux to thicken creamed spinach. This recipe is thickened by melting parmesan cheese into cream.
Draining your spinach extremely well and patting dry before adding back to the skillet (step 3) helps make sure your creamed spinach is thick and creamy instead of runny.
Do You Have to Use a Roux?
No. I don't use a roux in my homemade alfredo sauce or my stovetop macaroni and cheese because the cheese will do the thickening instead of the flour. Because there's Parmesan in this recipe (like the alfredo sauce), the roux is not necessary here.
What to Serve with Creamed Spinach
Creamed Spinach will go well as a side dish with many meals.
Try it with this baked caprese chicken, cheesy Italian pork chops, or a grilled steak. Another side that goes well with creamed spinach is these Boursin mashed potatoes, which will round out the meal perfectly.
More Spinach Recipes You'll Love
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup - an Olive Garden copycat that's just as good as the original.
- Hot Spinach Artichoke Dip - A simple dip made with spinach, artichokes, garlic, and lots of gooey melted cheese.
- Chicken Alfredo Lasagna - Lasagna made with creamy homemade alfredo sauce and chicken with spinach and tomatoes.
- Crockpot Lasagna Soup - the easy way to make lasagna with all of the ingredients slow cooked in the crockpot and topped with melty mozzarella and creamy ricotta.
- Cheesy Chicken Sausage and Spinach Skillet Dinner - a healthy one-skillet meal featuring fresh veggies and chicken sausage.
Creamed Spinach Video
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 small shallot finely chopped (optional but recommended)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan or more to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet with a lid over medium heat.
- Add spinach, cover, and let cook down until wilted.
- Drain liquid from spinach and transfer drained spinach to a paper towel, or clean kitchen towel, lined plate. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add garlic and shallots and sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in spinach, cream, and nutmeg. Allow to heat to steaming, but not boiling.
- Stir in parmesan until melted and creamy.
- Serve immediately.
- Parmesan: The jarred parmesan will not work for this. Use freshly grated or the shredded kind you can find in the refrigerated cheese section of the grocery store.
- Shallots: You can use half of a sweet onion instead.
- Spinach: 2 pounds looks like A LOT of spinach, but believe me it cooks down a ton. If you can't add it all at once, just keep adding it in batches while it cooks down.
- Storage: Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!