Homemade creamy horseradish sauce is simple to make with just a few basic ingredients, and goes perfectly with tender prime rib and so much more! Make your own with just 5 ingredients in less than 10 minutes and add bold zingy flavor to any dish!
Creamy Horseradish Sauce
Have you ever wanted to make a creamy horseradish sauce from scratch? Not only is it surprisingly easy to do, but it also adds a delicious bold flavor to almost any dish. Make your own with just 5 ingredients (plus salt and pepper) in less than 10 minutes to amp up the flavor factor of your favorite dish in no time.
With a rich, zesty, and slightly spicy flavor made even richer and more decadent with its creaminess, creamy horseradish sauce offers a unique culinary experience that no other condiment can match, adding zing to any meal.
What is Prepared Horseradish?
Prepared horseradish is a canned and prepared version of horseradish. It usually contains grated horseradish root, vinegar, and salt. It can be found in jars at the grocery store or made at home.
I recommend purchasing the prepared horseradish in this recipe from the refrigerated section by the pickles, as that has the best and freshest flavor.
What is the Difference Between Prepared Horseradish and Creamy Horseradish Sauce?
This creamy horseradish sauce recipe calls for prepared horseradish to make it! Prepared horseradish is basically just pickled horseradish root with vinegar and salt.
Creamy horseradish sauce has a few more ingredients to add to the creaminess, like the sour cream in this recipe. This will be a bit more mild than taking a bite of plain prepared horseradish. You can also find store-bought versions of horseradish sauce at the grocery store, and they are different from prepared horseradish, and are usually mayo-based.
Do I Have to Let it Chill Overnight?
No, but it's highly recommended. It will be edible right away, but definitely not as delicious. Making it the day before and allowing it to chill, lets the flavors meld and bloom and just makes astronomically better.
What Can I Use Creamy Horseradish Sauce for?
Whether you have some leftover or you just want to put it on everything (and seriously, who could blame you?!), here are some ideas for using up your horseradish sauce:
- Prime Rib - I originally made this sauce recipe to go with prime rib, as its a truly decadent and classic combination. Dip or smear on a perfectly cooked prime rib for a rich culinary experience.
- Mashed Potatoes - Mix into some homemade mashed potatoes for some extra flavor.
- Sandwiches - This sauce is amazing drizzled on hot sandwiches, like these Crockpot Italian Beef Sandwiches, and cold sandwiches too!
- Steak - steak will have a similar flavor to prime rib at a fraction of the cost.
- French Fries, Tater Tots, or Onion Rings - Need I say more. This creamy dip is even amazing on the side dishes as a simple dip!
- Deviled Eggs - Mix this horseradish sauce into deviled eggs instead of mayo for an extra zesty kick.
- Roast - This will make an excellent sauce to serve alongside both beef and pork roasts.
- Baked Potatoes - Drizzle this sauce on a warm baked potato instead of the traditional sour cream for more tangy flavor.
- Chips - A great, simple dip for classic potato chips.
- Crudité - Serve with fresh veggies such as baby carrots, celery sticks, and bell pepper strips for an original way to serve your crudité.
- Cooked Veggies - This will also make an excellent dip for cooked veggies such as roasted asparagus, steamed broccoli, or sauteed green beans.
- Burgers - Smear some on a bun as a burger sauce instead of traditional condiments.
More Sauce Recipes You'll Love
- Creamy Gorgonzola Sauce - a creamy, rich sauce with bold gorgonzola cheese.
- Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce - a personal favorite that's both tangy and sweet with real honey and mustard. Perfect for dipping and salads.
- Blue Cheese Dressing - creamy, tangy sauce with chunks of real blue cheese that's amazing on wings, salads, and more!
- Homemade Mayo - classic mayo with simple pantry ingredients and a stick blender.
- Homemade Tartar Sauce - tangy tartar sauce is easy to make at home and even better than the bottled version.
- Homemade Restaurant Style Salsa - fresh, zesty salsa, just like your favorite Mexican joint.
- Homemade Shrimp Cocktail Sauce - another sauce recipe with horseradish, this one is even more tangy with a tomato base and perfect with cocktail or fried shrimp.
Creamy Horseradish Sauce Video
Creamy Horseradish Sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¼ cup prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped chives (optional)
- Place all of the ingredients into a medium mixing bowl and whisk until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight to allow flavors to meld.
- Horseradish: Adjust the amount of horseradish to your taste preference. Start by adding half if you're unsure, and add a little more, a tablespoon or so at a time until you reach the desired level of horseradish flavor.
- Storage: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!