Juicy ground beef and warm noodles tossed in a creamy sauce seasoned with fresh mushrooms, onion, and garlic makes a classic easy comfort dish. Make this Ground Beef Stroganoff in just one pot!
Ground Beef Stroganoff
Ground Beef Stroganoff is such a classic comfort food dish. Some may be mostly familiar with the box version, but let me tell you this from-scratch recipe is SO much better and just as easy to make.
This Ground Beef Stroganoff is made all in one pot, using simple and fresh ingredients, for a creamy, comforting beef pasta dinner.
Fresh mushrooms, onions, and garlic cooked with savory ground beef in a creamy sauce with soft noodles. No cream soup here!
How Do You Keep Sour Cream from Curdling
Curdled sour cream in soups or stroganoff look really unappetizing. It will still taste okay, but here are some tips to keep your stroganoff sauce super smooth and creamy.
This recipe is designed to be super easy with as few steps as possible. The starch release when cooking the noodles right in the pot will help to thicken the sauce and prevent curdling.
Also, sour cream doesn't curdle as easily as heavy cream, which is why I chose it for this recipe.
To make extra sure that it won't curdle, measure the sour cream and let it come to room temperature before adding it to the recipe.
You can also temper it before adding, which is a method used in homemade custards and puddings to prevent eggs from cooking too quickly. Add about 1-2 tablespoons of broth mixture to the sour cream. Stir until smooth. Then add the sour cream mixture into the whole pot.
This will help it warm up gradually instead of getting a temperature shock, which is often the cause of curdling.
What Goes with Ground Beef Stroganoff
Since ground beef stroganoff already has a hearty portion of meat and noodles, I like to serve it with just a vegetable.
More Easy Dinner Recipes You'll Love
- Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff - tender cuts of beef and noodles in a creamy sauce, all in the Crock Pot.
- Unstuffed Peppers - so much easier than traditional stuffed peppers. Make it in one skillet in just 30 minutes.
- American Goulash - noodles and ground beef in a zesty sauce, made all in one pot for a quick and easy family dinner.
- Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls - all the flavors of the classic in a fraction of the time with beef and pork, cabbage, and rice in a zesty tomato sauce.
- Cheesy Tater Tot Casserole - one of our family favorites. A simple creamy ground beef casserole topped with cheesy tater tots.
Ground Beef Stroganoff Video
Ground Beef Stroganoff
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large sweet onion diced
- 8 ounces sliced white mushroom
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 4 cups beef broth
- ¼ cup sherry
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups egg noodles dry
- ½ cup sour cream
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef with onions until cooked through and no longer pink.
- Season with salt. Then add mushrooms, and saute until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Drain any remaining excess grease. Then return to heat.
- Add beef broth, sherry, Dijon mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to combine.
- Stir in egg noodles. Bring to a boil. Then stir again, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and continue simmering until noodles are cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- When noodles are cooked through, remove from heat, and stir in sour cream.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm, garnished with fresh parsley.
- You can omit the sherry, and replace it with a dry wine or a little more broth.
- If broth evaporates before noodles are fully cooked, add an additional ½ cup of broth until they're cooked through. The liquid may evaporate more or less quickly depending on many factors, including the range temperature, heaviness of the pot, tightness of the lid, etc.
- Add freshly grated Parmesan to garnish and for a little extra nutty flavor.
- Storage: Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 5-7 days.
- Freezer Directions: Prepare stroganoff according to recipe instructions. Allow to cool to room temperature. Transfer to a freezer bag or dish, and freeze for up to 3 months. To use, thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Bake at 350°F for about 20-30 minutes to reheat. Add more broth and sour cream if noodles dry out.
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!