Rich, decadent chocolate cake with a creamy, tangy raspberry buttercream make this Raspberry Chocolate Cake recipe a heavenly, to-die-for dessert indulgence.
Raspberry Chocolate Cake
So does this count as a Valentine’s Day recipe? This Raspberry Chocolate Cake is decadent and indulgent and chocolate, which puts it in the “yes” column, but it also uses raspberry instead of strawberry, so maybe no? Earlier this week I shared the Raspberry Buttercream Recipe that goes with this delightful cake. It’s the perfect bright, tangy flavor to go with such a rich chocolate-y cake. And it doesn’t matter when you serve it, Valentine’s Day, birthday, date night, or just because, it’s sure to be a hit.
Raspberry Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 1 batch of my Raspberry Buttercream frosting HERE
- Fresh raspberries for topping
- Sift or whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda in a bowl. Set aside.
- Melt chocolate in a small microwave-safe bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time, stirring between each interval, until chocolate is fully melted. When chocolate is fully melted, set aside to cool a bit.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix in cooled chocolate and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, in thirds. (So add about a third of the flour mixture, followed by ⅓ cup of milk, and continue the process until both are entire mixed in). Beat after each addition until smooth.
- Fold in stiff egg whites.
- Bake at 350° in a lined and greased cake pan for 25-35 minutes, until cooked through. This recipe will make about (2) 8-inch layers or one very thick 9-inch layer or 2 thin 9-inch layers. Bake time will vary slightly based on which option you choose.
- Remove cake from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- While cake is cooling, prepare raspberry buttercream according to THIS RECIPE.
- When cake is cooled, frost with raspberry buttercream and top with fresh raspberries
If you liked this Raspberry Chocolate Cake recipe, you might also like
See More Dessert Recipes
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.