Spiced Sugar Cookies recipe take your traditional sugar cookies and make them amazing with spicy cinnamon and nutmeg, topped with a creamy frosting and a sprinkle of cinnamon!
Spiced Sugar Cookies
Super excited to share this recipe today. This is another one of those recipe that I tested last year, and then had to hold onto for a whole year until the time was finally right again. But it was so good. These Spiced Sugar Cookies were probably my favorite cookie I made last year. I don’t think any made it to my sharing plates. They were so good that I hoarded them and ate them with my peppermint coffee.
Now, on the surface, these Spiced Sugar Cookies seem like your everyday average sugar cookies. But with the added cinnamon and nutmeg, it turns your ordinary sugar cookies into festive sweet and spicy Spiced Sugar Cookies. And aren’t they so pretty too?! I love how they look with a plain white frosting and a sprinkle of cinnamon on top!
You can top your Spiced Sugar Cookies with a plain buttercream frosting (my favorite recipe HERE) or cream cheese frosting (and my other favorite recipe HERE). Or you can even just top them with frosting out of a tub. I won’t judge. And I’m positive they’ll still be delicious.
Spiced Sugar Cookies Recipe
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg optional
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract or lemon or almond
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and beat well. Then add vanilla and mix again.
- Add dry ingredients and stir by hand with a large spoon.
- Roll cookies out on a floured surface using a floured rolling pin. Cut out cookies using a glass or cookie cutters.
- Place rolled out cookies on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350° for about 5-7, until lightly brown on the edges. Cool before frosting.
If you liked this Spiced Sugar Cookies recipe, you might also like
See More Cookies Recipes
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.