Moist and rich Chocolate Banana Cake topped with the most heavenly, to-die-for chocolate frosting makes a decadent but easy dessert that everyone will love! You’ll be licking the frosting out of the pan! It’s so good!
Chocolate Banana Cake
We had a brief moment in time a while back where my kids suddenly didn’t like bananas anymore. Which is awful after you just bought two huge bunches of them and now they’ll just go bad! So I did what any desperate, I mean brilliant, mom would do and made chocolate cake with them. And I won that battle because my kids really couldn’t get enough bananas in this chocolatey and decadent Chocolate Banana Cake.
It. Is. Good. And don’t even get me started on the frosting. It’s the same chocolate frosting I use in my chocolate Texas sheet cake, and it is to-die-for. So rich and decadent. I love it, and honestly, I usually don’t even like chocolate that much! You will just never taste anything like it!
To frost the cake, you don’t need to wait to for it to cool all the way. I usually pull the cake out of the oven, and then start on frosting, which you pour onto the cake while the frosting is too hot. The frosting will just set on the cake, and then when they’re both cool and set, you’re ready to dig in! Enjoy!
Chocolate Banana Cake Recipe
Chocolate Banana Cake
- 3/4 cup butter 1 1/2 sticks, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups mashed bananas about 2-3 very ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sour milk put 1 tbsp. of vinegar in 3/4 measuring cup, fill remaining with milk up to 3/4 mark
For the frosting
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup milk or half & half
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 pounds powdered sugar about 5 1/4 cups
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and cream together until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and beat again.
- Mix in banana and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture in 3 parts, alternately with sour milk. Begin and end with flour.
- Spread in a lightly greased 9"x13" baking dish
- Bake in oven about 33-40 minutes, until cooked through and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Directions for Frosting:
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat
- Stir in cocoa powder, whisking until fully combined.
- Slowly add in milk, stirring until smooth.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Whisk in powdered sugar. Remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Pour over warm cake. Allow to cool completely before serving.
If you liked this Chocolate Banana Cake Recipe, you might also like
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.