These quick and easy Firecracker Cupcakes are so fun and perfect for 4th of July and Memorial Day! These firecracker cupcakes are super festive for celebrating all summer long with a surprise of sprinkles in the middle! Make this 4th of July dessert today!
It’s our last week of school, and next week is already Memorial Day! The year is just flying by! To celebrate the end of school and Memorial Day, I wanted to share these fun Firecracker cupcakes with you today.
They’re very simple to make, following a basic vanilla cupcake recipe. It is a little different than some cupcake recipes because it starts with the dry ingredients and then cuts in the butter. You can use a pastry cutter to do this. Even if you’ve never used one, it’s still really simple. You’re just trying to cut together the butter and sugar mixture to make it crumbly and combined. You can also use a fork or criss-cross two knives together to get the same effect. Of course, you’re also welcome to use store bought cake mix, but the homemade recipe is oh-so-much better.
Once baked, you’ll cut a hole in the cupcakes, cut off the middle part but keeping the part of the cupcake that was part of the top. Then fill with sprinkles and put the little top back on like a lid. Then frost with some fluffy homemade buttercream. To get your Pull-and-Peel Twizzlers to look like fireworks, just peel them apart a little. Stick them on top, and top with more sprinkles. These little red, white, and blue stars are the ones I used. Top with a sparkler candle for the full effect!
Enjoy! And have a great weekend!
Firecracker Cupcakes Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup red, white, blue sprinkles, plus more for decorating (I also added some silver and gold)
- 4 red, white, and blue Pull-and-Peel Twizzlers, cut into 3 pieces for topping
For the frosting
- 1 batch buttercream frosting
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Grease and line a standard muffin pan. Set aside.
- Combine the dry ingredients (first 4) in a large mixing bowl.
- Add butter and cut in until crumbly. Set aside
- In a separate mixing bowl, add eggs, milk, and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to dry in two additions, stirring between each addition.
- Scoop batter evenly into each muffin cup.
- Bake cupcakes for 16-18 minutes, until they're lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the middle cupcakes comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven. After 5 minutes, remove from pan to finish cooling before for frosting.
- When cupcakes are cool, cut a cone into the center of each cupcake with a knife. Cut off the excess from the piece removed from the middle and just keep the top circle portion. We'll be using it like a little lid in the next step.
- Fill the cones you just cut with sprinkles. Then cover the hole with the saved circle so that the cupcake looks normal for frosting. You may need more or less sprinkles than 1/2 cup depending on how big you cut your holes.
- Frost cupcakes with my favorite recipe for a fluffy vanilla buttercream.
- Pull the Twizzler apart so that it looks like a firework, leaving about an inch intact at the base. Place the intact portion of the Twizzler into the top of the cupcake. Top with more sprinkles and a sparkler candle, if desired.
If you liked this Firecracker Cupcakes Recipe, you might also like
Berries and Cream Cupcakes
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.