Air Fryer Asparagus is a simple and healthy side dish with just a couple of ingredients. Asparagus in the air fryer is the perfect amount of both tender and crispy.
Air Fryer Asparagus
This Air Fryer Asparagus is a delicious healthy side dish that's just the perfect amount of both tender and crispy, owing this combination, of course, to the air fryer.
It is quick and easy, and requires just a couple of additional ingredients to make. With a little bit of oil, salt, and pepper, the asparagus stalks are prepped to be put in the air fryer for a few short minutes.
Asparagus in the air fryer is simply the BEST way to enjoy asparagus that will go with all of your favorite main dishes.
How to Trim Asparagus
Grab a spear of asparagus one hand on each end. Bend it until it snaps. Using the length of the snapped asparagus as a guide, line up the snapped spear with the remaining asparagus, and trim the bottoms off the rest with a sharp knife.
Can I Use Frozen Asparagus?
While using frozen asparagus is possible, I don't recommend it. It will have a mush softer texture and be much more difficult to crisp up.
Air Fryer Asparagus Variations
This basic asparagus recipe is great as is, and is usually how I eat it. But it's also a blank slate for many other flavors. Try these variations.
- Lemon: A squeeze of fresh, bright lemon cuts the bitterness of asparagus a bit, bringing the dish alive.
- Balsamic Vinegar: This sweeter vinegar will have a similar effect as the fresh lemon.
- Oil: You can use whatever oil you're most comfortable with. I love extra virgin olive oil, but you can avocado oil, coconut oil, or even melted butter.
- Flavored Oil: these oils can add a big burst of flavor with minimal work. A garlic or herb oil would be amazing here.
- Seasoning: A sprinkle of lemon-pepper would add some zest, red pepper flakes are great for heat, or smoked paprika can a little dash of sweet smoke.
- Sweetness: Mix the olive oil with a tablespoon of maple syrup or honey before adding to asparagus for a little bit of sticky sweetness.
- Herbs: Fresh herbs such as parsley, dill, basil, or thyme are a fresh and lovely way to change the flavor to your liking.
- Cheese: Top your asparagus with finely grated parmesan or crumbled feta for some extra richness and creaminess. This can be done before or after air frying.
What to Serve with Air Fryer Asparagus
Air fryer asparagus makes a quick and easy side dish for lots of main dishes. Serving suggestions include:
- Seafood: Air fryer asparagus is a classic side with seafood. Try it with this parmesan garlic herb salmon or your own favorite seafood dish.
- Meat and Poultry: I love serving it with simple dishes such as steak, chicken (usually thighs, breast, or drumsticks, and we love to grill it), or even pork chops. It would also go nicely with a classic roast.
- Pasta: Air fryer asparagus goes well with pasta both as a side dish and as a mix in. Try it along side this rich chicken alfredo lasagna, or tossed right into this shrimp and angel hair pasta.
- Snack: These actually make a fun finger food snack. Try it with a dip, such as ranch, honey mustard, baba ganoush, or hummus.
How to Store Air Fryer Asparagus
Air fryer asparagus can be stored covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
To reheat, warm in the oven on a baking sheet at 350°F or in the air fryer until heated through.
More Air Fryer Recipes You'll Love
- Air Fryer Zucchini Chips - crispy, breaded zucchini coins that make a fun side dish or appetizer. Try them dipped in ranch or marinara.
- Air Fryer Hush Puppies - tastes just like classic southern hush puppies with none of the mess from frying oils.
- Air Fryer Hasselback Potatoes - an easy way to cook hasselback potatoes so that the edges crisp up perfectly, almost like warm buttery potato chips/
- Air Fryer Jalapeno Poppers - a homemade version of the appetizer favorite. These creamy, cheesy poppers can be cooked right in the air fryer.
- Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks - a healthier, homemade version of mozzarella sticks. Not to mention SO. Much. Cheaper. than store bought, and just as gooey and delicious.
Air Fryer Asparagus Video
Air Fryer Asparagus
- 1 pound asparagus ends trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder (or to taste)
- Line trimmed asparagus in one layer in the basket of your air fryer. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to do this in batches.
- Drizzle asparagus with oil. Then sprinkle with salt and garlic powder.
- Air fry asparagus at 400°F for 7 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Serve immediately.
- Storage: Refrigerate asparagus in an airtight container for up to 5 days. To reheat, warm asparagus in the oven on a baking sheet at 350°F or in the air fryer until heated through.
- Freezer Directions: Freeze asparagus in an airtight, freezer-safe storage container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the microwave, and crisp up in the air fryer.
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!